Saturday, April 25, 2009

Different opinions


There are many times when we have different opinions from our spouse, boss, colleges, friends and others. Most (if not all) of the times, we feel that we are correct. The problem is, the other party think they are correct too. This can put some pressure on the relationship. How should we handle it?

Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h. said in such situation we should leave it to Allah. Meaning we should pray to Allah to show us which opinion is better. And that's what I always do. I will pray to Allah if I'm wrong show it to me. And if the other party is wrong, show it to her/him. Then I will open up my heart to the truth. Meaning I open up myself to the possibility that I'm wrong. Sincerity in accepting the truth is the key here. When the truth is shown by Allah in one way or another, I accept it. Ego will only hinder us from the truth and wisdom. What is important is not whether I'm right or not but rather, if I am wrong I should accept it gracefully. We always feel that we are right but Allah knows better.

To non muslims, the same principle should work for you. Just pray to Allah and open up yourself to the truth. The truth will reveal itself in one way or another. It is difficult to swallow the fact that we are wrong, I know. That is only normal. What make us as strong as the mountain is not our stubbornness but the ability to reflect ourselves and see from other perspectives. Just like the mountain above. Always reflecting itself in the cool, clear water below. Thomas Edison had invented hundreds of things which failed before he finally invented electricity. Not many people know about his hundreds failure but he is famously known for his one successful invention. He won't achieve that if he didn't reflect and study his failures and try to improve them.

So good luck in your quest to improve. Accept difference in opinions as part and parcel of our road to success. Don't ever regard it as stumbling blocks. I should be the first one to follow my advice and hope to share this with you too. For those who read my blog to find ideas to go through your life, thank you for reading. I hope to contribute in every small way I can. When we give, we get a lot more in return. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment