Thursday, April 16, 2009

The grandmother

I just came back from Tabung Haji. When I reached there this morning, quite a few people were standing waiting for their turn. It's going to be a long morning for me and my son. I took my number - 128. The present calling number is 82. So my son and I decided to go for some drink first.

When I came back, it was 120 already. Nice timing. I took a seat beside an old grandmother. A guard walked around and asked those who wanted to deposit money to go to counter 5. The instruction wasn't clear to me at first. After I comprehend what the instruction was, I mentioned about it to her. She then asker me whether I wanted to deposit or draw money. I answered I wanted to draw some money because I need the cash. She told me that she wanted to draw some money too because she wanted to take her niece to the clinic. I was dumbfounded for a while. I asked her again why must she draw money from her Tabung Haji account just to take her niece to the clinic. No money, she answered. I was so deep in my own thought that it took me a few seconds before I realized my number was called. I hurriedly went to counter 2.

While waiting I had the chance to think. I put aside some money inside my handbag to be given to the old grandmother. But I got to be sure she is really in need and not making up story. After collecting my money, my son gave me a signal to go home. I signaled back that I need to talk to the old grandmother. I sat behind her and told her that I wanted to help her but I need confirmation on her status. How much money does she have in her account right now? She showed me her account book. She had about RM101.40 and her form showed that she wanted to draw RM100. I handed over a certain amount of money to her. In her surprise and happiness she said Alhamdulillah and cried. I softly kissed her fragile cheek and asked her to pray for our prosperity. Then I quickly went out.

I know tonight I will sleep soundly InsyaAllah. If I dream of her, hopefully it will be a happy dream. May Allah blessed her.



No comments:

Post a Comment