Friday, March 27, 2009

Let our similarities bridge us together


The world is full of people of different colours, nationality, creed, religion, belief, language and way of life. It is our differences that make the world so rich. My neighbour is an Indian family. I treat them like my own clan. Whenever I cook something extra, I will give some to them. I learn about their culture from their way of life. One of my best friend is a Chinese. She is Lee or Iching that you see leaving comments on my chatter box. Hi Lee. I know you will read this. Thanks for your love, support and care. Allah stated in the Holy Qur'an the purpose human are created in different races is so that we will get to know each other and love each other.

On my way home from class today I listen to radio IKIM. Ir Ahmad Jais, the director of radio IKIM, was interviewing Dr Lim Swee Kim (hope the name is right), a Professor of Kesusasteraan Melayu in UPM. Dr Lim related how as a child when he came back from school and there is no food on the table in his kitchen he will go to his neighbour's house and eat even if the owner of the house is not around. His mother got a foster mother who is a Malay woman. She will take care of Lim's mother in her confinement period after giving birth to each child. Just imagine how harmonious such life is.

We have a lot of things in common beside our differences. If we concentrate on our similarities, we will cross the bridge and overcome the river that keeps up apart all these while. But if like to focus on our differences, even siblings can't see eyes to eyes.

So let's cross that bridge together. Good luck.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Ummu Ilman,
    Will I used to go out with my colleagues (Malays)at my previous school, I feel ease around them, I went to their house, watched TV together, had dinner together etc. Laila and Zaharah. I know in Al-Quran, surah Al-Alaq ayat 1-5 "Bacalah dengan nama Tuhanmu yang mencipta kamu daripada segumpul darah....and one more buat I can't remember Surah and Ayatnya but I remember the content of it. Tuhan mencipta kamu berpuak-puak, berlainan kaum supaya anda mengenali satu sama lain.....(maybe it is in Surah Al-Alaq?)
    Actually, I like to read all these, I took Tamadun Islam , Sejarah Islam etc that taught me a lot about Muslim & Islam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iching. Your knowledge about Islam is certainly commendable. Thanks for filling in the gap. Love U.

    ReplyDelete