Saturday, March 7, 2009

Give her a chance.

From the name list in my hand I just randomly called a name. Salina (not her real name) was chosen to answer the question I have already delivered. "Teacher, she... she.... cannot.... dengar. Dia tak dengar teacher. Dia pekak," one student said. "Call orang lain, teacher," another said. My students understand the rule well. No bahasa in my English class. Full English or a rojak one will do. "You mean she's deaf". "Yes teacher, she's deaf". They know that they have to repeat my sentences every time I translated something into full English for them. "Well class. She deserve to learn too. Salina, answer the question please". She answered the question but it was difficult for me to understand her words. I moved beside her and try to understand her words. From then on I always make sure I'm in front of the class when I'm teaching so that she can read my lips. I never give her any special treatment nor do I neglected her. That was back in 2006.

Yesterday I came back to the school for a visit. A lot of my ex-students greeted me and said how they miss me. On my way home I stumbled with Salina. She was walking towards the canteen with her friend. When she noticed me she immediately came towards me. I offer my hand to her for her to salam. To my surprise she hugged me and said "Teacher I miss you so much. Thank you teacher for everything you have done for me. I will never ever forget you," she spoke in perfect English. Even her words sound clear, very easy for me to understand her words. She won't let me go. I was in her hug for a long time. I was off balance. I didn't expect this. She seem so confident of herself now. Even her words are much clearer than before. "Salina, you must work hard. Proof to the others that you can do much better than them".

Give everybody a chance.




No comments:

Post a Comment