Friday, December 31, 2010

post Mortem


What should I have done to make it better? Am I pushing people too much or too little? Was it the best choice or should I chose something better? Have I use my time wisely?

We Muslim should always muhasabah or do post mortem on ourselves. Every night. I know for sure that I have not use my time wisely. Poor time management. especially when I'm in front of the tube/TV and give myself the excuse that I needed some time to rest and ending up spending too much time on it. Sure, I learn a lot especially from documentary programs like Nat Geo but plus all the advertisement and everything I end up spending too much time on it and having inadequate time for more important things. I should improve that this year, 2011.

A teacher is one of the best person to make a new year resolution since every year we are given new set of students and jobs. The challenges we face every year are different. Even the way I teach the same topic every year are different simply because I have different set of students that need different ways of learning the same thing.

Once, when I was asked by a class to teach the topic of locus. It was not one of my maths classes but since I'm a maths teacher they want me to give light on the topic that they find so elusive. I purposely asked them how do they want me to teach the topic - the traditional way where they are taught to read the clues and react accordingly or the 3D right brain method. I guess I was just trying to provoke their mind to think. Of course they choose the second method. I use myself as an example of a locus, a moving point. And I asked them where should I move so that I'm constantly equal distance from the two boys that I chose as the model. That was a great start for them to think in 3D and to use their right brain. So I taught the topic in 2 periods instead of a week. One boy in that class said thanks to me after he got A for his maths in PMR examination for teaching him on that day.

If I say I will do my best to improve on the areas where I'm weak, that's not going to work well. Simply because my resolution is not strong enough. I have to make a check list of the things I must do to improve and always check whether I follow the list. All talk but no action is not going to change anything.

I feel better after writing this article. Now I know how to make sure to keep myself on the right track. I have to go back to the time when every morning I wake up I have a list in my head of what I must do and achieve on that day. I need to spring into actions. Not just making resolutions. I hope this article will help you out there too.

May Allah bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment