Thursday, December 24, 2009

My ex students


"You are invited", sms message in my handphone. The form 4 kids are organizing reunion party. All form 4 students that have transferred to other schools will be joining.

I went to see my ex students. To catch up on them. While eating, I called up A. He was in form 1B in 2006. I was form 1B class teacher then. "How's your parents now?". His parents are divorced now. They were still married but was having major conflict in 2006. "They are ok now teacher. Not quarreling anymore". So they are on good terms now. "Is your father married again?", I can't help asking that question. "No. He doesn't want to get married. So is mom". "If that's the case then pray to Allah so that they will be back to each other again", I was excited with hope. A was longing for this back in 2006 even though his separated parents can't accept that then. "They will marry each other next year, teacher", my heart leap with excitement. "I'm so happy for you". A smiled at me. No matter what conflict a couple may have, kids always wanted to have a family like everyone else. It's part of their self image. But not everyone have that.

Then B came to me. I hardly recognize him. Even his voice has changed. "Teacher, this is me, B". "Is there any side effect after the accident?". B was absent for a month in 2006. His body has some steel implanted surgically to support him. B was not confident that he will perform well after having a lot of catch up to do after the long absent. I managed to convince him and at the end of the year, his grades improved significantly. We talked about his future planning. After that one by one came to me and discuss about schools, future planning, study, etc.

At home I realized how close I was with the kids even though I am on study leave for two years now. Form teacher or just subject teacher, I knew their background and family. It was my practice back then, to ask about their family before I give them advice. Some come from troubled family. Some have low self esteem. Some have attitude problems. I tackle what I can, in ways that I can. The rest is up to Allah. We can only try. Allah will determine the outcome of our efforts. Realizing this, I will not be frustrated if my efforts bear no fruit. At least I have planted a seed in my students' mind and hope one day the seed will grow into a big tree. Of course, I have made mistakes too. I'm only human. The important thing is to learn from our mistakes.

May Allah bless all our efforts. May Allah bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment