Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Visiting Prophet Muhammad


Completing our hajj, we move on to Medina. Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him (p.b.u.h), said if we visit his resting place, it's like we visit him in person. And that's what it feel like every step of the way. The desert wasn't what I imagine a desert would be. No sand dunes but instead the soil is full of stones, big and small. I tried to imagine the time Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h. and his close companion Saidina Abu Bakr, on their way to hijrah (make a new start) from Mecca to Medina. There must be a lot of maneuvering to avoid the stones. They followed the sea route which make the journey at least twice as far to avoid detection and capture. Journey on foot under the scorching hot sun which lasted for a few days. And there I was, conveniently traveling in an air conditioned bus for a journey that took only six hours.

The first time I set foot on Masjidil Nabi, I was awed. Not by the majestic building, the automatic moving roof or the splendid architecture but by the fact I was visiting Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h. in person. At Raudhah, the original site of Prophet Muhammad's house, I said all my prayers for it is a place where prayers are granted easily. Leaving the area, my eyes were brimming with tears. It felt as if I had to be pulled away against my will to leave the holy site. But there were a big crowd waiting for their turn. To leave Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h. behind was really the hardest thing I had to do. Silently in tears I prayed for a chance to return. And my eyes are in tears now. How can I forget that feeling six years ago. Maybe Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h. will grace me with a visit in my dream. Do I deserve that? Not in the world. But I am praying to Allah to grant this wish I had. May Allah had mercy and compassion on me.

May Allah bless us all. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment