Friday, May 15, 2009

Diversify


Doing my first degree in business administration and doing my diploma in education in commerce and economy, I foresee myself completely in art stream and not science. Anyway, science was a bit difficult for me during secondary school, earning meagre result only. When I start my teaching career, I got to teach my options for less than two years only. Every school that I go, there are excess of commerce and economic teacher. I find myself to teach mostly mathematics and later on mathematics and english. I'm moving from art stream to science.

When PPSMI started in Malaysia and science and maths teachers are provided with laptops, I kept mine in a locked cupboard for a few months because it seem too complicated for me compared to my good old desktop. But eventually I took it out and painfully learn how to use it. It is when I stuck with a technical problem and had to ask for technical help from friends that I find I learn the most. I begin to look forward to new technical problem to learn more.

Then fate had it that I am doing my master degree in multimedia. Wait a minute, multimedia? Yes, sound unbelievable but that's what I'm doing now. I never heard about open source before doing my master degree but when my group was asked to pick a topic to do mini research on, I suggested open source. Why? Why not! To me that's the best way to learn, when you are force to do something. You have no choice but to embark on a new venture. From someone who don't know how to do animation in power point presentation (just simple presentation), I ended up doing a courseware. And it won gold medal in my university Research and Innovation Expo.

All these diversity has added a lot of interesting colors in my life. I never want to be the best; I just want to do my best. And as a muslim, doing your best is a one of the condition for Allah to accept whatever you do as something that will gain you 'pahala' or reward. And I try my best to be a good muslim and to set good example to others.

We need to let go our fear. Try something new. What have we got to lose? In fact we gain a lot of knowledge. And new skills. At least I can talk a bit about a lot of thing.

So why don't you do that something that you are afraid to do but you always wanted to try it deep down in your heart. Who knows, maybe you will like it after all and even excel in it. Good luck. May Allah bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment