Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Eidul Adha


Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) told his son, Prophet Ismail (Isaac) that he had a few dreams of him slaughtering his son. Prophet Ismail understood the meaning of the dream. Allah had ordered his father to slaughter him in yet another test of iman or faith. Prophets' dream are true.

Oh father, you will find me an obedient servant. Do what Allah has ordered you to do. I only have three request from you. First, tie me tightly until I cannot struggle at all. Second, take off my shirt so that it will not be tainted with blood. My mother, Hajar, will be sad if she see my shirt full of blood. Let her smell my clean shirt in remembrance of me, her only child. Thirdly, please use a very sharp knife so that I will suffer less.

On the fateful day, while Prophet Ibrahim was walking to the slaughter site, satan appeared and tried to persuade him not to go on with it. Don't you love your son, satan said among others. This happened three times at three different places and at each time, Prophet Ibrahim took some pebbles and threw at satan until he disappeared. He tied Prophet Ismail tightly and went on to put the sharp knife on his son's neck. Just when he was about to continue, Allah has substitute Prophet Ismail with a sheep. Both father and son has undergone the severe test successfully.

Today, while performing hajj, pilgrims will throw pebbles at Jamratul sughra, Jamratul Wusta and Jamratul Aqabah as a symbol of rejecting satan requests just like what Prophet Ibrahim had done. And on 10 Zulhijjah or a few days after that, they will slaughter sheep.

It was very difficult for my husband and I to reach the Jamratul Aqabah on the third day six years ago. The wave of people keep on pushing us back like strong current. We decided to try again later on. I was sad then. It was a lot easier when my husband took my mother in law earlier on. He cannot take us both at the same time for it would be difficult to handle. After resting for some time, we decided to try again on the second floor. Subhanallah, praise be to Allah, there were only a handful of people there then. It seems the big crowd had moved away. I kept on saying Alhamdulillah, thank you Allah, in my hearth.

This year, I send a check to an organization to have my Qurban or slaughtering of sheep done in Palestine. How they had suffered in the hand of Israel. When I celebrate Eidul Adha on 10 Zulhijjah this year (two days more), I won't feel guilty of celebrating it happily with my family while other muslims suffer somewhere else. Hopefully my small contribution will enlighten their day.

Ya Allah, bless all those that has suffer so much just to worship you as the one and only almighty god. Bless us all. Ameen.


No comments:

Post a Comment