Thursday, October 10, 2013

To do, not just to say



'Thank you for your cooperation', that's my tag line at the end of every session. They are considered as weak and problematic students. The good students are placed at the first center. I'm in charge of the second center throughout the examination with a few teachers under me. I opt to use two approach at the same time - to be both strict and friendly at the same time.  

'Those who didn't tuck in their shirt can't enter the hall'. One example of how strict I am. But at the same time I always say thanks for all the cooperation they render to me - entering the hall on time, being quiet while my team count the papers, etc. Nobody was allowed to go before time was up and even though some tried by giving excuse their relative died and the such, I didn't allow since they didn't provide any proof. But they adhere to my every command. On the last day I praised them for being very disciplined, even more disciplined than students in the first center since some of them went out early before time was up. They applauded me when I said this.

They are used to being labelled as naughty. They are used to being yelled at. They are used to being indiscipline. So when they abide to my every command and got praised for it, their spirit soars so high to the sky. 

At the end of the six day stint, some of the students went to the stage to shake hands and say thank you to us - a move that moved our heart. Maybe because we have moved their heart.

Children that grow up in hostility will give hostile. Children who grow up in love will give love to the world. We can't instruct them to be what they are suppose to be but we must show them the right manners. Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him (p.b.u.h), won his enemies' heart not by sword but by his exemplary manners. Showing love to those who hurt him in the past. I'm far from being as strong as Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) but I'm trying to emulate him in every way I can, as far as I can. May Allah place me near Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) in heaven or jannah. Allah humma amin. 

 opt - make a choice from a range of possibilities: consumers will opt for low-priced goods | [ with infinitive ]students opting to continue with physics.

 render - provide or give (a service, help, etc.): money serves as a reward for services rendered | Mrs. Evanswould render assistance to those she thought were in real need.

 adhere  believe in and follow the practices of: the people adhere to the Muslim religion.

 stint -  a person's fixed or allotted period of work: his varied career included a stint as a magician.

No comments:

Post a Comment