Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wedding trip


We drove  four hours from Rawang in Selangor to Sungai Petani  in Kedah to attend the wedding of my cousin's second daughter. The traffic was quite busy. We arrived around 1 p.m. in the mists of the feast. A wedding is the time to meet relatives, close ones and long lost ones. 

I hardly see the bride before since she's a police. So is her newly wed husband. During festive seasons police are always on call. Her radiance face portrayed her happiness. She wiped the bride groom's face since it's a hot day and he did the same to her. They looked so sweet.

I get to see a lot of aunties and cousins. A hug to ease the longing. Here we gathered to celebrate the wedding and to exchange stories. A lady called up my name. As I turned around I saw an unfamiliar face. She asked me whether I can recognize her. She can recognize me alright. A few wild guesses were wrong. Lastly she introduce herself as Mak Jang Midah, an adopted daughter of my grandmother from my father's side. My grandmother wasn't rich but she had a few adopted kids. Even though her life was hard enough but she adopted kids of even poorer couples. She had a big heart. 

It must have been twenty years since I last met Mak Jang Midah. But she can still recognize me easily. Maybe I don't change much. Just grow older. But she has surely changed. Even my sister can't recognize her. 

We made the five hours trip back to Rawang after spending one and a half hours there. Making an almost thirteen hours trip to and fro just to attend to a wedding is not a small feat. To my husband and me it's a trip of love. A trip to rekindle our ties to our relatives. It's what Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon us (p.b.u.h) taught us. To honor wedding invitations. 

May Allah bless us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment