Thursday, July 1, 2010

School Carnival


The school will be having a carnival this saturday and we are expecting to get about six thousand guests. Almost every student in my class has pledge that their mom will cook something to donate to our class stall. The kids have already come out with a few ideas of what to do with the profit. I told them to concentrate on how much profit we can make first.

I drove the girls to my house after school. While they were having lunch that I had prepared for them, I changed and performed my zohor prayer. Then we had a meeting on what to do and what to buy. Plus making a schedule on who's on duty at our stall on each shift. Getting the students deeply involved in the planning is a way to get full commitment from them. To give them a sense of belonging to the class project. It's a great way to teach them a lot of good values indirectly. Then we went shopping.

My MPV was sardined with seven passengers. All girls. Its easier that way. We went shopping for the ingredients for my meat soup and food container to serve our buyers on that day. There were much excitement and giggling. On the way home, I stopped at a restaurant and treat the girls some light meals. We exchanged jokes and stories. It's a rare sight to see students and teacher being able to talk amicably as though there's no age gap there. Before we eat, I asked the girls to say the prayer in congregation (berjemaah) before eating. I said that's my family tradition even though we eat out. An Indian girl in the group just keep quiet, respecting us. Then we did justice to our food, being hungry after all the shopping.

I sent home every one of them to their door step. I told them to say thanks to their mom for giving them permission to joint my think tank team.

It's not just a class project. It's the project of 43 families. My family and my students' families. May Allah bless our effort with a good profit.

May Allah bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment