Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The power of questions


Having to teach 3 subjects (Mathematics, English and Economics) sometimes has its toil on me. But I love the challenge of delivering the best for my students.

Yesterday I taught about external factors that affect the demand of a product. I made them think like a businessman or an economist or the governor of a national bank. What would they do if they were to make a national policy. Among the questions that I asked my students, if they want to control inflation (high prices of product), will they increase or decrease the personal tax rate? That was the first question in a series of directed questions that is designed for students to come out with the solution themselves. Then I asked if they decide to increase the rate of personal tax, will people's income increase or decrease? Everybody answered 'decreased'. OK, will they then spend more or less? 'Less' was the unanimous answer. How will this affects prices? 'Prices will go down'. So if you are the government, to reduce inflation what will you do, increase or decrease the rate of personal tax? 'Increase!' came the excited answer from my students.

One of my teaching strategy is to make my students see how things are connected to each other like a big web. When they can see the overall picture, they know where does everything belongs to.

My six year old Aiman is a bubbling child. He is always curious about anything and everything. He will ask questions all the times. Sometimes his questions will drown me. So I will turn the table on him. I will ask him back the same question he asks me. Then he will ponder for a while and come out with a logical answer. Bravo! Mission accomplished. He can think on his own.

My mission is to produce creative and critical thinking kids. Whether it is my own kids or my students. May Allah help me in my mission.

My Allah bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment