Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Perseverence


I was about to go to bed when the movie caught my attention. It was based on true story about John, a delinquent jail attendance and his effort to get his boys to break away from their gang. They are willing to die to stay in their gang. So he created an american football team called Mustang to give them sense of belonging and something worth while to do and to be proud of.

The team has high hope for their first game but they were shattered by their disgraceful defeat of 38-0. Rising from the frustration and to keep on trying was like getting themselves out from a highly pressurized room to the open space outside. If they remain in the room, they will be crushed. If they remain to be a gang member, they will die young. But the journey was really tough. It was team spirit that give them the strength to overcome all hurdles along the way.

In a way, I'm in the same story line. I have a bad team too. Form 3G consists some of the worst boys in the school. They are highly strung kids. Iskandar seldom attend class because he can't wake up in the morning. Jeff was always sleeping in class because he got night part time job that last until 2 a.m. Nizam's uniform defy the school uniform code in every way. A slack that is too tight. A shirt that only fit for an eight year old boy instead of fifteen years old. Just to name a few. I took over the class in March after my study leave was over. Their May mid year examination was too near for me to prepare them for it. I have to write some personal notes on their paper to encourage them to keep on trying even though most of them have '0' for their paper II. How do you tell a child he/she has a future when he/se score zero? That's my job as a teacher. And I did it honestly; not just to cheer them up.

Their PMR trial is less than two weeks time from now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that each and everyone of them will improve and a few will even produce astounding results. We can only try. Allah will determine. May Allah blessed my efforts.

May Allah bless us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment